Butter Lettuce, or other durable green with large leaves
3 tbl olive oil
3-4 large leeks
1 cup lentils (green or black)
1 can/jar artichoke hearts
1 cup creme fraiche
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp fleur de sel
1. Boil 2 cups of water. Once boiling, add lentils, and cook for 20-30 minutes until softened but not mushy.
2. While the lentils are cooking, slice off the green tops and roots of your leeks and discard (so far I have not been able to find an option for the tough tops of leeks). Chop the leeks lengthwise and then into half moon slices about 1/4" thick. Place these in a bowl of water to release any dirt between their layers.
3. Heat a frying pan and add olive oil and leeks. Cook until caramelized.
4. Add artichoke hearts, cooked lentils, and salt to the leeks.
5. Wash butter lettuce and separate individual leaves.
6. Whip creme fraiche with cumin.
7. Lay butter lettuce and add layer a spoonful of lentil-artichoke-leeks mixture topped with creme fraiche dressing. Add another slice of lettuce and additional layer of vegetables and dressing. Enjoy as is, or with a few shrimp on top.