|enjoying Veuve Cliquot with my friend Gwenaelle, |
who first introduced me to the tarte Maroilles
|I made this tart for my friend Danielle |
Tarte Maroilles (adapted from BBC)
2/3 cup warm milk
1 packet (7 grams) of yeast (I used easy rise)
|look at the cheese dripping down! yum!|
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 lb of stinky cow cheese (Maroilles, preferably, or a strong brie can suit, though the flavor will not be as strong), cubed (be sure to remove the rind as well)
1 200 ml container of creme fraiche (sour cream or Greek yogurt will do in a pinch; even though it belongs in the dairy section near the sour cream, you can often find this in the specialty cheese section at your grocer)
|fresh out of the oven!|
2. Beat egg and add it to the mixture.
3. Add the flour, and stir until dough comes together.
4. Knead dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes.
5. Place dough in bowl and leave covered for an hour to rise (I still find the results so cool!)
6. Preheat oven to 375.
7. Roll out dough until 1/2" thick and place in a greased circular pie pan (or square if you prefer).
8. Thoroughly mix the cubed cheese, 1 beaten egg, the nutmeg and the creme fraiche (or replacement) in a bowl. You might season as well with salt and pepper and herbs de provence.
9. Top the dough layer with the cheese layer.
10. Bake for 30 minutes and serve warm.
|we enjoyed the leftovers with a simple salad.|