|the product = more crumb than cake!|
Use a 9 x 12 glass pyrex pan.
3 tbl canola oil
|the batter phase|
1/2 c sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter (told you there was a lot in here!)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325. Melt butter in a saucepan and set aside to cool.
3. Mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
4. In a separate medium bowl, mix egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to this mixture.
5. Spread batter into the pan - it should just form a thin layer at the base of the pyrex.
6. In a small bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups of flour, brown sugar, and spices. Some recipes call for cinnamon alone, but I prefer the more complex flavor of having sprinkles of some additional spices.
7. Pour butter over mixture, and mix with a fork to form crumbles.
8. Sprinkle the large crumbles over the batter (this is my favorite part of this recipe).
9. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.