1 tsp olive oil
1/2 small white onion, chopped finely
1 cup arborio rice
5-6 cups stock, chicken or vegetable
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2-3 large scallops per person
1 tbl butter
salt and pepper
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Place stock in a large sauce pan and heat until simmering.
2. Put 1 tsp olive oil in a large sauce pan and once heated, add onions. Once the onions are soft, add the cup of rice and stir.
3. Once the rice has small a small white dot in the center, add the white wine and cook until reduced. Then add 1/2 cup of stock at a time and let the rice absorb it before adding more. Stir frequently, and continue until all of the liquid has been used.
4. Heat a frying pan and melt butter on surface. Lightly salt and pepper the scallops and place on the pan. Sear on both sides, for a minute or two on each side, or until slightly browned.
5. At the same time, put the 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan over heat, whisking frequently until reduced by about half.
6. Turn the heat off the risotto and mix in the cheese.
7. Assemble on a plate - the risotto first, then place the scallops on top, and drizzle balsamic vinegar reduction on the top. Enjoy!